San Gorg Preca College Valletta Primary is found in Valletta, in Malta’s capital city. This school forms part of San Gorg Preca College. San Gorg Preca’s College has a main vision that of bringing people together and one mission that of turning ideas into initiatives. Its objective is that of sustaining the current and future Educational Reforms.
History of the School building
In the late 1500, this building was used as a Monastery for the nuns of St Magdalene to live in. The cloister of Saint Magdalene lived in a Monastery which was built in 1594 and was near the Monastery of St Ursola. In 1609, the nuns of Magdalenes were transferred to another place in Valletta. The Monastery existed for 203 years. After the French blockade, in 1798, this Monastery was used as a civil hospital.
This monastery kept on being used as a hospital even under the English Colony. In 1850, the governor, O’Ferral took the orphan children living in this hospital to the new hospital in Floriana and changed the Monastery into a State school.
This kept on being used as a state school till the 1970s, when the government decided to re-build the school as the building was old and thus wanted to refurbish the school into a more modern building. The school was built having seventy classes and having all the necessary amenities needed to have a good school.
Information taken from the book ‘Bliet u rħula Maltin’ by Alfie Guillaumier (2nd Edition), Malta 1972.
The school building
The school building is a post-war construction and was formerly divided into two schools, School A and School B. It has the main necessary amenities including administrative offices, staff room, library, resource room, complementary teaching room, spacious classrooms, a main yard and a smaller yard used for the young children to play in. The school built within an enclave formerly occupied by a monastery, has two main doors. The one being used today overlooks Merchants’ street, another is situated in North street. The school lacks a lift which would enable students with mobility difficulties to access classrooms and amenities situated on the first or second floor.
The school, is located at the lower end of Merchant’s street, it is surrounded by social housing blocks on two sides, an examination hall on another, and a government department on the fourth side. Next to the main entrance there is a governmental carpentry shop on one side and an abandoned chapel on the other. The chapel was formerly used for the building of carnival floats, but now it belongs to the Maltese Curia and earmarked for restoration and reuse.
There are approximately 161 students attending the school from Kinder 1 to Year 6. There are two classes for every year except Year 2 and thus there are fifteen class teachers in the school. In addition to these, there are ten Learning support assistants distributed within the classes. In addition to these there are the complementary teachers, P.E teacher, Music teacher, and Art teacher. The school also benefits from the service of guidance teachers, speech therapists, guidance teachers, I.T support teacher and Science teacher who come to school once a week.
The students attending the school come from a various different backgrounds. There are families who see learning as a priority for them and thus encourage their children to learn and work collaboratively with the school for their children’s success and achievement. Others on the other hand, have various social problems and this effects the children’s learning.
The school tries hard to make the school relevant to pupils’ lives and also tries hard to appeal to parents to take their children’s learning seriously.
The school believes in a holistic approach to child education. The school is one of the most long standing institutions within the inner city circle of Valletta. The local community has an attachment to it. The school tries to reciprocate the feeling by adopting a holistic outlook on education, looking not only into the subject-based curriculum but also into pastoral care. It cooperates with a team of support staff from other departments in order to cater for all the needs of the children in its care.
Our School aims at providing a safe and caring environment, where all learners are inspired to accept challenges and nurture skills to become successful and active citizens.
Our School is a state Primary School, guided by mutual respect between all members of staff, learners, parents and members of our community. We strive to provide a caring, safe and supportive environment where all learners are given the opportunity to explore and develop inquisitive minds. We aim to build confidence in all learners, capable of taking risks without the fear of failure, and try to achieve their full potential, irrispective of their ability. We strive to instill in them the love towards learning, and taking pride in their achievement by working together in groups and individually.
We offer a wide range of experiences to all learners using the latest technology to instill values, lifeskills and care towards the environment.
We seek to build bridges to develop a community which is an extension to our school, through strong links with parents, carers and members of the community
Together Aspire, Together Achieve
- To help the children develop lively, enquiring minds and a love of learning.
- To carefully monitor and assess, ensuring that all children progress to their full potential, enjoying challenges and the achievement of success at their appropriate level.
- To provide an exciting and rewarding environment within which children are encouraged to develop self control and take responsibility for their own actions.
- To provide appropriate experiences that enable all children regardless of gender, physical and/or intellectual abilities to develop a sense of their own worth and a respect for others.
- To help children work as individuals, as part of a small group and as members of a full class applying their knowledge to a range of different purposes.
- To appreciate the values of children’s personal experiences and by building on them, through partnership with parents, encourage the children to develop confidence and take pride in their work.
- To encourage children, both at home and at school to learn to accept a share in the responsibility for their local environment.
San Gorg Preca
San Gorg Preca (1880 – 1962), was the Founder of The Society of Christian Doctrine (M.U.S.E.U.M). Gorg Preca was the seventh child in a family of nine children and was the son of a merchant and health inspector. He was ordained priest in Malta in 1906 and within a few months of his ordination, together with a group of young people started teaching about faith to the lay people. Gorg Preca named this group of people, ‘MUSEUM’ and it is still known in this way up to this day among the Maltese people. They are commonly known as the Society for Christian Doctrine and its members are celibate men and women who dedicate their lives in teaching children about faith.
Gorg Preca passed away in July, 1962 and was canonized in Rome in June, 2007.
The information about San Gorg Preca was retrieved on 17th September, 2013 from http://malta.jimdo.com/saint-george-preca/